Friday 14 September 2012

Post University Hungers [WonderBao & That Place]

New Post! :)
Been able to do this a lot more probably because food is quite easy to do and it's delicious :9

Me and my friend Shane went to uni for our morning classes and then well.. neither of us enjoyed staying at uni any longer so off to the city for a meal it is! :D

Stop #1: WonderBao
An interesting restaurant who provide cheap and delicious steamed buns :)
Watch out though, don't use the urbanspoon map function as of right now (140912) because it says they are somewhere between Bourke and little Bourke street...

Their menu is simplistic and gets the point
while also giving all the information you'd need


Their front kitchen seems busy but gives a feel of authenticity


A view from outside shows a fully packed restaurant area, no room for me :(

My choices: Roast Pork Belly Gua Bao (Front; $3.80) & Da Pork Bao (Back; $3.20)
The pork belly was incredibly nice and went well with the pickled carrots, daikon & hoisin sauce.
The cucumber was not a necessity for this in my opinion.
The Da Pork Bao (egg, shitake mushroom & chinese sausage) was fairly average for me.
There wasn't much dough or meat which led to a gap between them when I bit into it but it was decent for the price.
Shane's Choices: Braised Pork Belly (Front; $3.80) & Choi Bao (Back; $2.00)
Shane: The braised pork was nicely balanced; the pork melted in my mouth, the sauce was sweet, the pickles gave acidity and the bun was soft and plump. The vegetarian one was nice but lacked strong flavour, it needed more filling I reckon and the bun was the same.


Homemade Soya Milk $2.80
Me and Shane both got one. Both thought it was standard, nothing special.


Stop #2: That Place
I found this cafe a few weeks ago and wanted to try it.
Mainly because it was called 'That Place' and it was fun messing with Shane about it.

Their interior looks really nice.
Really Spacious and so much options to choose from.
This is not your standard cafe. :P

Their decorations on the wall look nice, kind of weird but it works for me :)

Shane got the Coffee (above) and the Scone (picture below) $5
Shane: I only had the scone and coffee so I can't give it a proper score.
Coffee is all the same to me and the scone was okay.

Scones with Jam & Cream
In my opinion; for $5, that's a good deal. :P

That Lunch Special $10
Cal's Beef Burger; Homemade beef pattie with Leafy Greens, Tomato, Melted Cheese & Relish.
A side of chunky chips as well ;9
Now that's a lunch special haha
Beef broke apart as I ate it, it was cooked medium rare which went along quite nicely with the other ingredients.
The chips were fried quite nicely and with some seasoning which really hit the spot.
The tomato sauce made the presentation quite nice but not necessary for taste :)

This is SHANE :D
He only agreed to the photo that I would edit it with black & white filtering.
He's good food company and he might be starting a food blog soon too! :)
Wrap up! :)

Stop #1: Wonderbao
The environment was welcoming even though it was so fast paced. Actually it was probably the strong smell that was the most welcoming thing xD The service was great for me but not as great for Shane unfortunately haha ^^" The food was not too bad for the value.

Food: 7/10
Service: 8/10
Price: 7/10
Overall: 7.33/10

Shane's Score
Food: 7/10
Service: 6/10
Price: 7/10
Overall: 6.67/10

I'd recommend you try this place :)
They're at: Shop 4, 31 A'Beckett Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000

Wonderbao on Urbanspoon


Stop #2: That Place
A cafe where they have good atmosphere and good food. The service was fairly decent and I think the pricing was very good for what I got :D

Food: 9/10
Service: 7/10
Price: 9/10
Overall: 8.33/10

This is definitely a place I will go back to sometime soon! :)
They're at: 408 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000


That Place cafe on Urbanspoon

I was incredibly stuffed from today's events. Hope you like my reviews and pictures :9

Til next time,
-R

No comments:

Post a Comment